Mental health is intrinsically linked to physical health & our overall sense of wellbeing, and is very much worth the time and effort to begin healing. Treating the whole person and the whole body involves addressing the mental health concerns we all carry around with us.
Mental health, to me, encompasses a wide range of suffering, from DSM diagnoses of Major Depressive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, Body Dysmorphic Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Schizophrenia, and many more, to the burden of daily stress, disordered eating, hits to self-esteem and anything that stands in the way of self-love and self-acceptance.
From childhood traumas (which can include feeling conditionally loved, being neglected, learning the feeling of unworthiness and shame), to piling daily anxieties, lacking nutrition, judgements from others, reduced quality of sleep, hectic lifestyles and many other insults to our peace of mind, it is nearly impossible to escape unscathed, and the majority of us walk around with pain caused by unaddressed (or inadequately addressed) mental health concerns. Each of us will be unique in our stories and treating mental health will focus on a plan tailored to your specific situation.
Our mental health informs the way we see the world, and even more impactful, it influences the way we see ourselves. Owning our individual concerns around mental health is a step against the stigma and perceived shame that tells us we should live with our pain in silence. I endeavour to be a resource for those who want to take control over their mental health and working towards a happy, healthy future with individualized treatment for their unique needs.
How naturopathic medicine can identify and address the deeper cause(s) of mental health concerns
- Identifying the root causes behind your depression/anxiety, etc: From food sensitivities or thyroid dysfunction to traumatic events or genetic links, a naturopathic intake can seek to elucidate your combination of root causes
- Develop a treatment plan that speaks to these root causes, possibly including supplementation, botanical therapies, lifestyle counselling, dietary changes, and further testing if required
- Become a safe space for you to talk about your mental health and the way it impacts your life
- Support you in addressing your mental health concerns and encourage you to take that time and space for yourself in a world that doesn’t always find that acceptable
- Discuss ways to give you more control & empowerment over your mental health and provide education around the treatment options you may be offered